Sunday, 1 February 2015

Morocco


Good morrow! 
Another travel post from me today.
Last summer, I did something I have wanted to do my whole life (and really want to do again) I volunteered with young children out in Africa. I went to Marrakech, Morocco for 11 days to look after, teach and play with some adorable children who don't have quite as many of the luxuries that we all take for granted. 
I travelled on my own with a company called Original Volunteers. I met some brilliant people there both the other volunteers and the incredible people of Morocco. 

It was one of the most amazing and valuable things I've ever done and I really recommend it to anyone thinking about it. 




First night at a restaurant in the Medina.




Setting up a meal for a homeless shelter.

Souk Selfie


Their writing is incredible. Here we were teaching a young girl basic English numbers and as we went over it I wrote them down for her. She then listened to how I said them and wrote down in arabic how it sounded in English and each time I said it she repeated it and added little dots or symbols to ensure she got the correct pronunciation. Incredible.

This was part of our 10 hour coach ride up the Atlas Mountains for our camel ride and overnight camp in the Sahara Desert. You know just your average Friday night.








^ Un Dejeuner a Marrakech
L'entrepotes restaurant



These kids were incredible. Literally they were so thrilled with people to play with them, I think we only brought a frisbee, a ball and tennis rackets and they could have the time of their lives. They even taught us all their games they played and were so friendly, even though we didn't even speak their language.


(Me on a camel)

So I went in July (twas bloody hot I can tell you!), so maybe not the best time to go but nevertheless it was amazing. Both the place and the experience was pretty awesome.




No comments :

Post a Comment