Sunday, 27 November 2016

New York in 24 hours!

On my travel bucket list a few weeks ago I mentioned my eternal love for the city that never sleeps; New York. Now, (perhaps not fitting to be on my bucket list) I have actually been lucky enough to visit New York twice now! Both times I have jetted off with my mum on some last minute trips and the very first time we did, I accompanied her on a trip (she’s an air hostess) in which we were there for literally about 24 hours. Therefore, I saw it only fitting that I did a post on my experience and some of the key must-dos if you ever find yourself in NY for a day…

1. BROADWAY SHOW

As the plane ride was a good 8 hours (+ the 5 hour time difference meaning we arrived 7pm NY time which was midnight UK time!) we found ourselves landing in NY pretty late in the evening, however that didn’t stop us. After the pretty long journey from JFK airport into Manhattan (about half an hour drive minimum but with the crew bus and getting through customs - always a long one in America, never underestimate it, it took us a good 1.5/2hrs to get to the hotel), we dumped our bags at the hotel and headed straight to Broadway to grab some last minute tickets for a show. At the time Sister Act was on and was featuring Raven Symone – needless to say she was pretty epic and absolutely hilarious. Such an amazing atmosphere and fab experience!





2. EMPIRE STATE BUILDING AND TIME SQUARE

Of course, you can’t quite get away with visiting New York without popping through Time Square and letting your inner tourist be revealed as your head tilts back and is overwhelmed by the incredible lights, bustling atmosphere and just pure amazement. We tottled along, knackered and hungry, but ecstatic after the show and wandered through and headed to the Empire State Building (luckily as it was late evening the queue wasn’t as bad as I expect it probably is during the day). As you can imagine the view from up there – and at night too – is simply spectacular. I was hypnotised by the beauty of it all! Some may say the view from The Top of the Rock is better (which it might well be – I still haven’t been there - that’s next on my list!) but I feel they must be pretty similar.





3. HELICOPTER RIDE

Perhaps a bit more on the pricey side (was a birthday present – and was also 4 years ago - so I’m afraid I can’t quite say how much it was), but if you’re only there for 24 hours, definitely worth it! I shotgunned the front seat (not the drivers obvs) of a helicopter and the lovely New Yorker whisked us off around the concrete jungle and took us around to see the Statue of Liberty and everything – pretty awesome if I do say so! Definitely a great chance to get a snapshot of the city and just spend half an hour- an hour just in awe! (Can you tell that NY is probably one of my favourite places on this planet?)




4. CENTRAL PARK

Absolutely stunning – in summer and winter – Central Park is so tranquil and pretty that I could walk through it for hours (1. Because it’s gorgeous, 2. Because it’s bloody huge!). In winter there’s a lovely ice rink (although expect a long queue) and in summer the trees and sun are just lovely to bask in. Due to lack of time me and mum took a nice walk and then called upon a lovely horse and carriage to take us on a quick trip and gave our feet a little, well needed rest!


Little pic of when my brother joined us just the second time we visited - just after Christmas, so it was extremely cold! If you ever go at that time (which I suggest that you do, NY at Christmas is even more magical) I suggest seriously wrapping up - like I'm talking even Northern England cold!




5. BURGERS

America are notorious for their overindulgence on food, but I feel a good way to embrace the New York experience is to of course grab yourself a good burger (hence the name) or hot dog and indulge! However I must point out that when we were there for our 24 hours, we trekked a good while looking for somewhere to grab dinner that evening and were fooled by the term 'city that never sleeps' when in fact it was more like 'the city that sleeps at around 11pm' - just to warn you!





Of course, I’ve only picked out a few of the many must-dos in NY and the bits that really stood out to me! – little bits you can probably also fit into your 24 hours are taking a yellow cab (obviously) and pop down to 5th Avenue! There are also so many more things I want to do next time I’m there (Top of the Rock, visit Greenwich Village, the zoo etc) but I could probably write forever about my love and lust for NY and that may bore you a little (though I don’t understand how!)

I wanted to do this post after seeing Amy's post over on Salt and Chic, on 24hrs in Amsterdam and hearing about the AccorHotels competition to win a stay in Paris/Amsterdam/Berlin which you can find out about here, and also to share my love and experience in this magical city!

If anyone’s ever been to NY – any more tips? Any good local places that are great to visit?


17 comments :

  1. Oh girl, I also absolutely ADORE NYC, the first time I went was also for 24 hours! I was visiting family in New Jersey and I was desperate to see the big apple so they took me for a day and I've loved it ever since and been back twice more since then, the most recent in September. It will never not be magical for me - such an incredible city! Sounds like you had the BEST time with your mamma! <3

    Hayley xo
    www.frockmeimfamous.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fab! I'm glad you share my adoration for it - an absolutely incredible experience! I wish I had family over there so I had more excuses to visit! We did have the best time - you can't not I don't think when you're there!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love New York, it's one of my favourite places! 24 hours sounds magical, although I'd settle for just 12, there!

    francesca | <a href="http://francescasophia.co.uk”>francescasophia.co.uk</a> xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, any time you get there is precious enough!

      Delete
  4. Such a nice blog you have here, I'm entertained reading this itinerary in NY. I would love to see this city too one day soon.

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Mercy, I would definitely recommend it if you get the chance it's incredible!

      Delete
  5. haha!! I love this topic as I just moved to NY three months ago! It's funny, I still haven't visited the empire sate building, but now you are making me really want to go! some cool places you definitely need to check out next time you are there--

    Union Square-- its just so quirky and epic, and feeds directly into soho/chelsea so the vibe there is uber quaint and hipster.
    underground concert in somewhere like bushwhick or williamsburg. (not really underground, just cool up and coming bands)
    china town!!!! there are 2-- one is queens, and another in manhattan. haven't been to the queens one yet, but the manhattan one is really awesome.
    oh yes, and the Met. ;)

    https://cynicalduchess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Goodness I am so jealous! I would love to live in NY for a bit! Thanks so much for the recommendations, they sound brilliant. Definitely going to check them out next time - love the sound of Union Square and the underground concert!!

      Delete
  6. Ohh I love New York! I was there for 5 days and still had SO much more I wanted to see, but I think you can squeeze a lot into 24h! Central Park is definitely a must! x

    Summer, www.thetwinswardrobe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there's just too much to see! You definitely can fit a lot in as it's all pretty central to Manhattan. I still can't wait to go back and see the rest though!

      Delete
  7. I love NYC it's my fav city and you took so many great pictures!

    Love x
    T I N N A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tinna! It's got to be my fave too I think, absolutely incredible!

      Delete
  8. well that must have been an incredible 24 hours!

    www.georginadoes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I wish I could visit NYC! x

    Jessica — NinetyCo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the chance some day! It's amazing, I wish I could go back!

      Delete